Although once among the most popular applications for creating simple databases, it’s fair to say that MS Access has run its course. Its limitations in today’s era of cloud computing have become increasingly unacceptable.
Microsoft completely shut down all Access web apps and web databases in Microsoft 365 and SharePoint Online. So, users either had to limit web apps to an on-prem desktop database or manually migrate to new, unfamiliar cloud platforms.
However, there’s a better, hassle-free alternative.
Here’s how you can easily bring MS access online using Caspio.
The Best Microsoft Access Alternative
Thought data silos were challenging in the office?
With 88% of organizations encouraging or requiring remote work, it’s more pressing that you transition to the cloud now. Data silos and the lack of online features in MS Access today make it virtually impossible to collaborate. Teleworking teams must be equipped with the right tools.
Your business records belong in a centralized online database — one that’s securely accessible from anywhere and maintains the tried and tested functionalities popularized by Microsoft Access.
Long hailed as the “Microsoft Access of the Cloud,” Caspio’s all-in-one platform allows you to keep the strengths of your MS Access database and build upon them online.
From visual drag-and-drop tools to familiar data types and relationships, Caspio has everything you want out of Access — but with robust cloud capabilities. No on-prem servers or coding required. Everything is powered behind the scenes by enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure.
You don’t even need to start from scratch. Importing your Access tables into Caspio is as simple as attaching files to your email.
Step Up From MS Access and Legacy Tools
Caspio’s no-code development platform lets you bring legacy database apps and MS Access online. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
With Caspio, you can build secure, scalable cloud-based applications that foster collaboration and increase team productivity — without dealing with the complexities of traditional software development.
Here are vital Caspio features you won’t find in MS Access:
- Unlimited users – Scale with as many concurrent users and builders without sacrificing performance. Caspio empowers all businesses, regardless of size, to work on one platform at no extra cost.
- Embedded web apps – Deploy your no-code interfaces on any website, intranet, portal or CMS, including SharePoint. You can even apply accurate localizations and custom styling to match your unique brand.
- No-code automation – Take advantage of visual drag-and-drop tools to achieve sophisticated tasks and triggered actions. Caspio also supports automated import and export of data from external sources.
- Online integrations – Choose from over 2,000 third-party applications and services to supercharge your custom web apps. Easily integrate with standard enterprise tools like Microsoft Office and popular cloud services like MailChimp, Google Sheets and more.
- Security and compliance – Caspio alleviates the burden of securing your own physical servers. Rest assured your systems abide by IT-approved standards and strict compliance requirements like HIPAA, PCI DSS, FERPA and other regulations.
By combining all these features, you’ll be able to rebuild any existing MS Access database or application in Caspio, without having to write code.
How To Migrate an Access Database App Online
Caspio was designed with Access users in mind. Those familiar with the Microsoft database tool will find it easy to pick up where they left off, without losing vital data.
Here’s how you can migrate a database application from MS Access in three easy steps:
Step 1: Import Your Access Files
To use MS Access databases as the starting point of your web app, browse for your Access database files when creating a new application in Caspio. Your tables will then be uploaded online in just a few seconds. No file conversions or copy-pasting of data required. It’s also possible to import Access databases from any desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Step 2: Configure Your Tables
Caspio gives you the ability to adjust your imported tables before finalizing the configuration of your online database. You can do this step any time within the platform. In the complete video series, you’ll notice that Caspio correctly transferred all existing records from the old application (in this case, a bug tracker). The transfer included field names, data types and even table relationships previously configured in MS Access. With Caspio, you won’t need to rebuild your Access database from scratch.
Step 3: Build Powerful Web Apps
We then built a new and improved version of the bug tracking app using point-and-click tools and step-by-step wizards. We made a secure login interface, an input form to create and assign bugs, a professional report to track the progress. We also activated a commenting function and dynamic charts to track metrics. All this without writing code.
Watch our Ultimate Video Guide on how to migrate MS Access online for a detailed tutorial from start to finish.
Accelerate Digital Transformation With No Code
Caspio not only lets you migrate your Microsoft Access databases and apps to the cloud; it also allows you to build tools for digital transformation without coding.
Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores, which operates 800 stores with 3,000 employees, previously used a combination of handwritten paper logs, spreadsheets and Microsoft Access as a “system”. When their database crashed and failed to recover, they searched for an alternative and found Caspio. Since then, they have created over 40 Caspio-powered apps for the entire organization, from inventory management to e-commerce to loss prevention and risk management.
Raise Learning of Australia, which prepares youngsters for formal education, knew they needed to collaborate with families of children to reach their goals. However, their MS Access database didn’t allow them to gather and manage data in the cloud. Using Caspio, they built a cloud-based application that enabled educators and families to work together online. Their app has been operational for 10 years now and houses over 25,000 curriculum ideas for their teachers.
Ready to say goodbye to legacy systems and migrate your business to the cloud? Leverage Caspio’s no-code platform.
To get you started, here are other popular Caspio use cases you can learn for free!
- Convert Excel to Web Apps – Discover how easy it is to import multiple spreadsheets into Caspio in one go. Expect to build your own sales management app by the end of the course.
- Build a Custom CRM – The best CRM app for your business is one you custom-built yourself. Learn how to create a simple CRM and start building more fruitful relationships with customers.
- Create a Knowledge Base – Need a powerful knowledge hub to centralize information across multiple departments? Check out our tutorial and deploy your knowledge base online in just a few clicks.
- Design Web Dashboards – Want to display real-time metrics on a single web page? This short video guide shows you how to deploy insightful charts and reports quickly.
- Launch Online Surveys – Gather data from your target audience by sending password-protected survey forms. This entry-level series will teach you everything you need to know to get started building apps in Caspio.