Microsoft Excel is perhaps the most popular “light database”. Sure, it’s not really a database, but its rows and columns can take almost any type of data without complaining, and data can be easily searched, sorted, and even styled to look nice. So why would anyone want to use anything else for data management?
The Problem with Using Excel for Data Management
Sharing – You can email the file around, but soon you and the recipients may lose track of the latest version. Files may be too big to email and people may not have Excel or the right version.
Updates from Others – Excel is for one person. If others must add or update the data, Excel cannot easily accommodate or track changes from multiple people.
Security – The only security option in Excel is password protecting the file. You cannot give time-based access. You cannot revoke access. You cannot give different passwords to different people. You cannot give tiered privileges such as managers vs. staff. And because it’s just a file, it could easily get in the wrong hands and without a trace.
Move Your Excel Files to the Web
There is a better way to manage data. Use the power of the web. You can gain tremendous flexibility by importing your Excel file to a Caspio online database.
Once your data is imported, you can let your creativity take over:
- To let others submit data, create a web form and place it on a private or public website.
- To let others search the data, create a searchable report and deploy it to your website.
- To control access, you can easily set up password protection for authorized users.
Other advantages of a Caspio online database:
- One central place for the data means that everyone is on the same page.
- No cluttered email or “file too big” email bounces.
- Complete data security including SSL, passwords, nightly backups and more.
Caspio Makes it Easy to Convert Excel to Web
Use Caspio’s import wizard to convert your Microsoft Excel file into a web database automatically. Then go to the DataPage wizard and create your interfaces such as forms, searches, reports and even charts. Everything is point-and-click and the end result works with any website or can be accessed directly from Caspio.
If you don’t have a Caspio account already, sign up for a free trial and move your first Excel to web in minutes. Let us know about your finished work.
- - How to Create a Database from Excel (Part 1: Import Spreadsheet)
- - Announcing Caspio Global Sites for Better Performance and Compliance
- - Form To Excel – Three ways to get web form data into Excel
- - Need Structured Data in Your CMS? Embed Caspio’s Cloud Database
- - Convert Microsoft Excel to a Web Database
TagsAmazon app templates awards BYOD Caspio Cloud Cloud Apps cloud computing cloud database community customers database reports data sets election Excel extensions facebook government how-to iPad iPhone Map Mashup media mobile mobile apps MS Access MS Excel News non-profit online database paas plugins ready-made applications ready-to-publish database roadmap searchable database search applications security Services usability web applications web apps web design web forms widgets